Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com11:17 AM
My first Sunday Salon! (Read more about TSS and join here.) It's been a great week of reading for me and I've really been blogging more as well, so I thought it was a perfect time to join The Sunday Salon crew.

I did spend about a half an hour reading first thing this morning, as I usually do on weekend mornings. I actually have plans to head to a restaurant down by the beach for burgers today, so I won't get to spend the entire afternoon reading. I managed to finish up a couple books I was reading this week and start another, so I'm really happy with that. And I don't have a single after-hours work event ahead of me this week so I'm excited to come home and curl up with a book everyday.

Here's what I read this week:

The Long Walk Home by Will North. Isn't this one of the most beautiful book covers you've ever seen? I just love it! One of the greatest things about this book is that the author was very descriptive and detailed and it was very easy to visualize the scene. My review will be up in the next couple of days. (Image from Barnes + Noble.)

Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan. I have been a fan of Suze's straightforward attitude about women and money for a couple years now, and this book was no exception. Her words really resonated with me and my fingers could barely keep up typing what my mind was thinking! Look for this review this week as well.

NUTS! Southwest Airlines' Crazy Recipe for Business and Personal Success by Kevin & Jackie Freiberg. I became interested in this book a few months ago when I read something about their business model. Business books are quickly making their way to the top of my bookshelf as I get further into my career. It honestly sounds like a very boring read but I'm flying through it. It's a book that at first made me think, okay, what crazy tricks are they using to be America's most successful airline? But as I'm reading, it's all clicking because their policies are just obvious. If more people read books like this, and implemented these policies, the world would go round much smoother. I'm 97 pages in and I anticipate finishing this book in the next few days.

Happy reading fellow saloners!

2 comments:

Les said...

Isn't that a great cover on The Long Walk Home?! Oh, how I'd love to live there. :) I'm anxious to read your review. It's been over a year since I read the book, but I can still envision the setting. My review is here, if you're interested.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

A red door is supposed to be a sign of luck, I believe. I need to check out The Long Walk Home.