Monday, February 2, 2009

Some Like it Haute - Julie K. L. Dam

From the back:
"Alex Simons, style writer, has landed in Paris for fashion week, her heart beating in perfect tempo with the hallowed words Prada, Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo. She's blissfully unaware of her approaching fate: a public humiliation captured on TV, a shot at an exlusive on the season's hottest designer, and falling in love with Nick Snow, the cutest straight guy in France. But while her hormones are still raging, the subject of her scoop mysteriously disappears and she gets a painful reminder of something she already knows: Men can break your heart - even if they're harder to resist than a sample sale. Now, as fast as she can say "Do you accept Visa?" Alex takes matters firmly in hand: First shop, then get her story, and then get her man..."

I tend to like books more when I can relate to any of the characters, and I sure found myself relating to Alex in several ways. Firstly, I'm a writer at heart (journalism school does that to a girl), and fashion is a passion of mine. Secondly, Alex's wit is amazing, and at times I found myself thinking outloud, "that is something I would say!" In fact, one of the best lines of the book is something I've often said myself:
"I don't have a clue about wine. You're talking to someone who picks wine bottles by how nice the labels are."

While I mostly found the writing to be easy to follow and clever, the part about the famous designer disappearing just seemed a little too-far fetched. And the surprise twist of a reality show involving Alex's new man made me roll my eyes.

However, the wit stayed with me, and I loved the banter between Alex and Nick, so I'm going to recommend this book to you dear readers!

No comments: