Tom Perrotta's thirtyish parents of young children are a varied and surprising bunch. There's Todd, the handsome stay-at-home dad, dubbed "The Prom King" by the moms at the playground, and his wife, Kathy, a documentary filmmaker envious of the connection Todd has forged with their toddler son. And there's Sarah, a lapsed feminist surprised to find she's become a typical wife in a traditional marriage, and her husband, Richard, who is becoming more and more involved with an Internet fantasy life than with his own wife and child.
I'll say that this description enticed me more when I originally purchased the book....about two or so years ago. I don't know why I do that - purchase books and then don't read them immediately. But it always seems that when I grab a book to buy, the excitement wears off and I don't like the book as much as I once anticipated. Tell me I'm not the only one who does this?!
Back to the book. I do not condone adultery, but I will admit that I was intrigued by the affair in this book - simply because it makes it exciting. I always wonder when/if/how the cheaters will get caught. Too bad for Sarah that her "lover" didn't turn out to be so in love with her after all; he never made it to their meeting where they were going to escape once and for all, leaving their families behind.
One issue I really took with this book was Kathy's character. To outsiders, she really seemed to have it all - nice house, gorgeous husband, adorable son, good career. But only the readers realized that plan was enormously flawed - she was extremely jealous of her husband's bond with their son, she didn't love her career, she was only doing it to tide the family over (so to speak) while her husband put off the bar exam and his law career. She completely resented her husband and they had no love life to speak of. And she had a hunch about this Sarah...so she invited her family over for dinner... and then believed her husband couldn't actually be cheating on her (should have just gone with your gut, Kathy)! But I couldn't feel sorry for her. I actually felt the most sorry for Sarah; I think because she appeared to be one with deep-rooted self esteem issues.
I actually did like the title of this book. Little Children seems so fitting for the way the story played out. No more details for those who've yet to read it, but beware: one story in here invovles "adult content" - and it was shocking.
Have you read this book? Did you like it? Hate it? Please share!

1 comment:
I haven't read the book, but have seen the movie. It was pretty intense. Great review!
Post a Comment