Wow! I always look forward to her work, and she rarely disappoints. Change of Heart was by far one of my favorite Jodi Picoult novels, for so many reasons. Firstly, I love the law and reading about it. I loved Maggie's character and her determination to fight for what is right, regardless of the client and his offenses. (And I'm glad she finally found love, too!)
One of my favorite things about her work is the story telling. I just love the multiple points of view, and this time the inmate's perspective was incredible. I commend her for her research and details in the account of death row inmates. I cannot fathom being incarcerated for eleven years, knowing that death is inevitable and in the mean time trying to use my creativity to pass the time. Another element that really hooked me was the religion. I'm not a religious person, but I found the history very interesting and enlightening. I found myself reading some parts over again in order to fully grasp the concepts, but for me to be fully engaged in religious dialogue says a lot for her writing.
Jodi Picoult's books never fail to surprise, and I knew there was a twist somewhere, but it was hard to swallow when it came out that Kurt could have been sexually abusing his step-daughter. I think it only made sense when I started to see that maybe Shay Bourne did not really commit the double murder.
I still have a few books of hers on my shelf that I've yet to read, so I will settle for those while she pens her next masterpiece.
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite writers. I agree that the best part of her books is all the different viewpoints - it makes the reader empathize with all the characters, even the "bad" ones.
I was LOL about how she got you interested in a religious discussion. Too funny!
Thanks for giving me the link to your review. I do appreciate that some people enjoyed this book (even though I couldn’t stand it).
If you like multiple point-of-view novels, can I suggest The Poisonwood Bible? I don’t know if you’ve already read it, but to me it is one of the best examples of multiple voices in modern writing.
Post a Comment