Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Literacy and Longing in L.A. - Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack

**SPOILER ALERT!! If you have not read this but plan to, don't keep reading! But please come back upon finishing :)

This is a quick read for those literary buffs who love to read a book about books, or at least with several references to other works. Kaufman and Mack set the tone with a bookish quote at the start of each chapter. I admit this book took a few chapters to take off but thankfully I continued to read. The story is a good one - although in today's world, probably not that unusual - a thirtysomething can't quite move on after a separation from her husband, still often refers to her depressing childhood and admits to hermit-like behavior whenever life throws her a curveball.

I enjoyed Dora's (the narrator) take on everything - she's actually quite funny for being so depressed - but I couldn't wait for the demise of her relationship with Fred! That guy was such a jerk, and Dora knew it halfway through the novel, although she couldn't quite let go of him. I know, I know, we've all been there, right, so who am I to judge? But I couldn't listen to anymore of him.

For book lovers like me, it was sad when Dora threw her novels up against the wall as her sign of moving forward in life. See, whenever she felt depressed she would grab a stack of books to read and wouldn't answer the phone or leave the house for days. I admit to constantly reading but who retreats from the entire world?! And just because she didn't feel the need to do that anymore, why did she need to ruin her books?! Some people would covet the classics she so often quoted.

I guess if I was going to 'grade' the book (and you loyal readers know I don't even really "review" the books I read, I simply make my random thoughts public) I would say it's only average.

No comments: