Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult

Picoult so rarely disappoints. I absolutely love her storytelling from multiple viewpoints. This book follows Delia, her father Andrew, her financee Eric, her friend Fitz and her mother Elise as Delia's sketchy childhood is unraveled, sending her from the only life she knew in New Hampshire to Arizona, where she spent the childhood she can't remember much about.

Delia doesn't remember her life in Arizona, because as it turns out, her father "kidnapped" her when she was 4 and moved her from Arizona to New Hampshire because her mother was an alcoholic. He changed both their identities and they made a new life together - the only life Delia has ever known. When her father is arrested for the kidnapping, Delia's world is turned upside down as everyone treks across the country for her father's trial. It is in Arizona where Delia realizes Eric is not who she thought he was, she meets her mother for the first time, and realizes what her father did to protect her. As always, the legal part enthralled me and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

Much is made of the concept of memory in this book, and the fact that Delia cannot remember things she thinks she should remember about her childhood. Throughout the book I just kep thinking to myself, she's just burying what she remembers so she doesn't have to face the music. Although I don't condone what she did near the end of the book, I can understand why the book ended the way it did. The most appealing thing to me was the way Delia looked at her own daughter and her own relationship differently after learning about her mother and father's relationship.

I definitely recommend this book, especially for Picoult lovers.

No comments: