Friday, March 13, 2009

The Smart One and the Pretty One - Claire LaZebnik

From the back:

Smart, successful Ava Nickerson is closing in on thirty and has barely had a date since law school. When a family crisis brings her prodigal little sister Lauren back to Los Angeles, Lauren stumbles across a forgotten document - a contract their parents had jokingly drawn up years ago betrothing Ava to their friends' son.

Frustrated and embarrassed by Ava's constant lectures about financial responsibility(all because she's in a little debt. Okay, a lot of debt), Lauren decides to do some sisterly interfering of her own and tracks down her sister's childhood fiance. When she finds him, the highly innapropriate, twice-divorced, but incredibly charming Russell Markowitz is all too happy to reenter the Nickerson sisters' lives. And always-accountable Ava will soon realize just how binding a contract can be...


The story was a little far-fetched I thought - whose parents draw up a contract for their eldest daughter to marry someone?! It sounds so medieval. And Ava! Oh, Ava. I didn't know one girl could be so clueless at love and fashion and be sooo stubborn! But I did love how she used her legal knowledge to trap her sister into becoming more financially responsible (actually sounds like something I might do...) but it ended up backfiring because Lauren went ahead and used their parents' contract to hunt down Ava's childhood friend. Of course, being the chick-lit that it was, everyone came out happy in the end.

This book reminded me a lot of my relationship with my own sister. She is more like Lauren and I am more like Ava, and no one in our family would disagree with this statement. I think I was drawn to the story simply because of the relationship between the girls.

No comments: