Friday, August 1, 2008

Night - Elie Wiesel

As I mentioned before, I think I am probably in the minority of those students who didn't have to read this book for school curriculm. It is Wiesel's true account of shuffling through concentration camps in Nazi Germany, surrounded by thousands of marching men and constantly trying to avoid being sent to the creamatories.

These are some passages I bookmarked while reading:
All I could hear was the violin, and it was as if Juliek's soul had become his bow. He was playing his life. His whole being was gliding over the strings. His unfulfilled hopes. His charred past, his extinguishing future. He played that which he would never play again.
Listen to me, kid. Don't forget that you are in a concentration camp. In this place, it is every man for himself, and you cannot think of others. Not even your father. In this place, there is no such thing as father, brother, friend. Each of us lives and dies alone.

This book was easy to read, hard to understand. It's amazing that this kind of hate really existed.

No comments: