Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hannah's Gift: Lessons from a Life Fully Lived - Maria Housden

WARNING: this one is quite the tear-jerker!!

Three-year-old Hannah has a rare cancerous tumor that even after 2 surgeries just will not leave her alone. This is her mother's story of first battling that tumor, then living with the fact that it will kill Hannah. This story is so beautifully told; Maria was really, truly present with Hannah (and the rest of the family) throughout the cancer battle. And Hannah! What a true doll. So adorable.

Hannah and her brother Will, who is five at the time, make the most of the rest of her life, including asking many questions about death and what happens after death. Hannah was rarely afraid of dying, she was just very curious. Maria and her husband, Claude, made it a point to always be honest with the children, even if they thought it would crush them. Maria told the story of Hannah's last birthday, last holidays, a trip to Walt Disney World (thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation) and many other "lasts."

I don't even have kids and I cried like a baby. Maria tells the story so clearly I had a vivid picture in my head and I couldn't handle it when Hannah actually died in her mother's arms. It was too much for me. How can you outlive your child? It just hurt reading it, I can't imagine living it. Kudos to Maria and her family for truly living, and truly telling, the story of Hannah's life.

No comments: