Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Sunday Salon - October 18

The Sunday Salon.com

October 18, 2009 - 9:38 am

This week I finally finished Dan Brown's latest book, The Lost Symbol. You can read my full review here, but in a word, I was disappointed. For all the hype, it certainly did not live up. Considering I finished The Da Vinci Code in 2 days and absolutely loved it, the fact that it took me over 3 weeks to finish the latest book was not a good sign.

Speaking of hard-to-finish books, I have noticed in the past few months that when I finish a book that I would only rate mediocre, it puts me into somewhat of a reading slump. It takes me longer to pick up another book and read. I especially noticed this during the summer months. I picked up pace after I finished The Time Traveler's Wife, which is probably the best book I've read all year. Finishing a wonderful book always reminds me why I love reading in the first place, and so I'm always eager to pick up another book. This time, after finishing Dan Brown's book, I had time to read the following nights I just had no gumption to pick up another book. Does this happen to you?

Last night I started Queen of Babble in the Big City by Meg Cabot, and I will finish it today. It's such a cute, easy read, and I love the main character, Lizzie. She has such a big mouth and cannot keep secrets, but so far in this book she's doing quite well holding her tongue. I chose this book off my shelf of dozens last night because I wanted to read more about New York, because we're heading there on vacation this week! I have never been there and I cannot wait to go!

On that note, since I'm vacationing later this week, I won't be keeping up with the blog. I do have one post scheduled to go out, but no reviews. I plan to read on all of our flights, so hopefully I'll have a couple more books to blog about upon our return. With that, hope you all have a great Sunday and a successful week! :)

6 comments:

Frances said...

Enjoy that vacation! And make sure you have something great to read in that bag. Maybe Her Fearful Symmetry? Sorry to hear you invested that much of your time in the new Dan Brown and did not enjoy it. Bummer. Happy reading!

Unknown said...

Interesting what you said about the Lost Symbol. I think I'll pass on that one.

Have a great time in New York!

Check out my Sunday Salon...I think you'll relate :)

Lynne's Letters

Unknown said...

Oh, and I see you read the book Rattled! I loved that book. I was a single mom for 13 years, so I totally got it :) Cute book.

Allison Vaughn said...

UGH! I hate when that happens. When I read a book I am not to thrilled with... I am hesitant to read anything else and feel that disappointment once more.

I am sad that THE LOST SYMBOL fell short for you. I haven't read it yet.. but like you, I read THE DAVINCI CODE in record speed. :(

Allison
Well-Read Reviews

Katie said...

Thank you Frances! Funny you mention Her Fearful Symmetry, a friend of mine just said "I don't recommend this book."

Thanks for stopping by Lynne, headed over to your blog now!

Allison, it was a disappointment, but since it was Dan Brown, I'm sure I'll read more of his in the future.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I had a hard time with The Lost Symbol. I read several chapters and couldn't get into it, and then it was due at the library and I found that I didn't care enough to check it out again. Loved the Davinci Code and Angels and Demons, though!