Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunday Salon - 8/2/09

The Sunday Salon.com

Sunday Salon - August 2, 2009

I can't believe it's August 2nd already! Where has 2009 gone? Anyway, happy Sunday fellow Saloners. I'm using this post to wrap up July, so let's go!

I started July in Key Largo, my favorite place to relax. I brought along 2 books, and only read one, mostly because our days were packed with boating and water sports and eating. You know, things you should be doing in the Keys. I chose a horrible book, The Ruins by Scott Smith. Some of you who have read it may completely disagree with me, but hey, that's what readers do right? I am finding that the more I read "bestsellers" and in general, books that tons of other people tend to love, I loathe. Such is the case with this book. (You can read my full review here.) Make sure you tell me what you loved/hated about the book!

Next up I read House Rules by Rachel Sontag, an amazing memoir. I am always interested in reading about how other people grew up, and this book was certainly interesting. I felt so bad for Rachel's childhood and the (lack of a) relationship with her parents. Her father was verbally abusive, and time and time again her mother "tried" to leave but to no avail. Rachel eventually made it away from home, where she thrived. A great, quick read for those who love memoirs.

My most recent read was True Colors by Kristin Hannah. This was borrowed from a friend, and I had wanted to read it, but was a bit disappointed by this book as well. I haven't reviewed this yet, so look for it later this week.

A couple nights ago I started Live First, Work Second by Rebecca Ryan, a speaker and consultant who I met last year at a Young Professionals Summit. She's completed some great research and has so much insight into the minds of my generation. I will be attending my second YP summit this September, and I really look foward to hearing her speak again.

Hope July gave you some great reading. We are over halfway through 2009. Wow. I'm off to the beach, have a great day!

1 comment:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

It is hard to believe we're in the second half of the year already!

It's very annoying when the wrong book is chosen whilst on holiday! I probably would have taken far more books, if only to have more choice! (recently took 6 books on a 5 day holiday - the husband was not pleased to lug those around, especially as I only read one)