I became so engrossed that I was (almost) oblivious to my boyfriend and his dad playing Tiger Woods golf on the Wii for 5 hours. (I'm not kidding. It rained for almost 8 hours straight while we were in Key Largo this weekend).
The story of Henry and Clare and his time traveling was so fascinating. At first I thought all the dates were going to create one big headache, but after awhile I started getting it, and I jumped easily from present to future and past and back. What an incredible love story. For Clare to spend her life waiting for Henry and to love him despite his flaw was just amazing. How unreal that Henry could see what his future holds. (And then, at the end, how devastating as well.) The couples' struggle to have a child was heartbreaking, two times over especially that we learned that their daughter Alba was also a time traveler, and knew her father was going to die early.
I was determined to read this book before seeing the movie, and when I realized it was coming out soon (it opened on Friday, 8/14), I knew I had to read it fast incase I happened to overhear any reviews. I had had the book on my shelf for over a year but for some reason hadn't touched it. I had no idea the story took place in Chicago, Illionois and South Haven, Michigan, a place I am familiar with as that's where I went to the beach as I grew up. The book even referenced my hometown, Kalamazoo, MI, several times. There is nothing quite like reading a book with ties to your hometown.
Here are just a couple of my favorite passages:
And what do you vote for?
Clare is silent. Her pragmatism and her romantic feelings about Jesus and Mary are, at thirteen, almost equally balanced. A year ago she would have said God without hesitation. In ten years she will vote for determinism, and ten years after that Clare will believe that the universe is arbitrary, that if God exists he does not hear our prayers, that cause and effect are inescapable and brutal, but meaningless. And after that? I don't know. But right now Clare sits on the threshold of adolescence with her faith in one hand and her growing skepticism in the other, and all she can do is try to juggle them, or squeeze them together until they fuse. (p. 77)
(Discussing the scenery on the drive from Chicago to South Haven, Michigan) We pass a Wal-Mart, a Dairy Queen, a McDonald's. More cornfields. An orchard. U-Pick M Strawberries, Blueberries. In the summer this road is a long corridor of fruit, grain, and capitalism. (p. 167)
I loved the references to Michigan, I loved the Chicago scenery, I loved the love story and the time traveling and Clare's art and Henry's work in the library. I loved that Henry and Clare were finally able to have the child they so desperately wanted, little Alba. I absolutely loved this book.

4 comments:
So glad you LOVED the book! I devoured it a few years ago when I read it. And also LOVED it! It has made it to my short list of all-time favorite books.
I'm a little skeptical of the movie just because I loved the book so much. But I may give it a shot since I really like Rachel McAdams.
Sorry your vacation was so rainy. We had that happen when we went to Hilton Head this spring. It rained 5 out of 7 days we were there. :-(
It has definitely made my short list of all-time favorite books!
I agree with you on the movie...I think I'll end up seeing it because I love Rachel McAdams. I hate being disappointed though.
Vacation + rain = me finishing the book, so it wasn't all bad! Sorry you had so much rain in HH!
I always get excited when I hear someone adored this novel. It's definitely on my list of favorites. I went to see the movie the day it came out, and I think they did well with what they had to work with. It is a tremendous book: lots of characters, lots of stuff happening.
I borrowed it from a friend, and I recently ordered it off Amazon -- in hard cover -- so that I can own it for myself. (: I always do that with books I love; I may never pick it up to read again, but I *have* to own it.
Rachel - I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the movie - it makes me want to see it more :) Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment