Friday, August 21, 2009

Live First, Work Second - Rebecca Ryan

I had the privilege of hearing Rebecca Ryan speak at last year's Young Professionals Summit in Brevard County, FL (just south of home), and I can't wait for this year's conference (next month!). I loved her book. I flew through it. I emailed her, saying, among other things, "YOU GET IT! WHY DON'T OTHERS GET IT?" because she does. Get it.

My generation (Gen Y) wants different things than our parents and other generations before us. We live by the rule that we can first pick a place to live, then find a job. (Most of the time this works. If we pick the right place). Rebecca is the founder of Next Generation Consulting, a Madison, WI -based consulting firm that researches and studies companies and young professional organizations nationwide. The research is based on 7 indecies that we (my generation) are looking for in a place to live.

Some of my favorite passages from the book:
"Let's call these places Old Town. In Old Town, YPs (young professionals) feel disenfranchised because the "old boys network" is still operative. In these communities, Who's your daddy? is too often more important than What's your idea? And that's a darn shame." (p.56)
(Um, yeah. Couldn't have said it better myself.)
"Bad management is an epidemic in this country. I've often joked that if the only thing we do at NGC is shine the light on the high rates of crappy and incompetent management in this country, we will have served the next gen well.

Funny thing is, it's not a joke.

A Next Gen'er's manager is the single most important person in their work life. No one can make or break them, retain or repel them like their manager. No one.

...

Companies should be run more like baseball teams. When the New York Yankees are losing, their owner doesn't trade all the players. The owner fires the manager. The manager is responsible for orchestrating all their talent into a winning team." (p.89)

I book marked a few other pages, but they are mostly charts and graphs. I recommend this book for everyone, as it does a great job of explaining my generation and what we're looking for in work and life. I can't wait for Rebecca's presentation at the Next Leaders Summit in Cincinnati, OH next month.

No comments: