Monday, June 15, 2009

The Wednesday Letters - Jason F. Wright

As I said in my Sunday Salon post, I finished The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright and while I enjoyed it, I don't understand all the hoopla surrounding it. It was on The New York Times Bestseller List, but for some reason it didn't grab me the way it probably grabbed others.

The Wednesday Letters is the story of a woman and her 2 brothers who come together at their parents' bed & breakfast after they've both passed away over night. As they come together, it is apparent the family has suffered from some losses, and there is some obvious tension between the 3 of them. While they are coping with their loss and accepting family and friends at their parents' estate, they stumble upon boxes of letters their father used to write to his wife each week, starting when they were married. These letters contain everything from the most mundane days to a huge, life-altering secret that the now grown children must come to grips with.

The secret affects each of them in different ways, and as they struggle through the days leading up to their parents' funerals, they are also each dealing with another crisis in their lives. Samantha, a police officer and single mom, had put her dreams on hold to care for her daughter and be close to her parents as she knew they were growing old and weak. Now she must decide what her next step in life is, and if she will chase her childhood dream of acting. Her (normal) brother must face the fact that he and his wife may never be parents if their adoption doesn't go through. Their troubled brother, who was called away from Brazil to go home to his family, must face the consequences he ran from years ago after a fight. He must also face the girl he loves who of course, was the reason for the fight.

I am sure you know where this is going. The kids made amends, bury their parents and live happily ever after. I'm always a little unsatisfied when I read the happy ending, because that's not how life really turns out. I'm actually a positive person, I just think that not every book needs to end up this way. I am curious what other readers thought about this book, so if you've got any thoughts, please share!

No comments: