Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Sunday Salon

The Sunday Salon.com

June 7, 2009 - 10:50 a.m.


Well here we are on Sunday again. I am always a little sad on Sundays, knowing work is just around the corner again. But I love Sundays for catching up on things around the house and reading. Today I think I'll be pulling weeds, doing some laundry and cleaning up a bit before I can read.

I finished The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright this week, and while I enjoyed it, I don't understand all the hoopla surrounding it. It was a New York Times Bestseller, but for some reason it didn't grab me the way it probably grabbed others. It's the story of a woman and her 2 brothers who come together in their parents estate after they've both passed away over night. They stumble upon boxes and boxes of letters their father has written to their mother over the years, and they discover all sorts of things - include one huge, life altering secret - that makes them all think about the past and the family they thought they knew. I am curious what other readers thought about this book, so if you've got any thoughts, please share!



One of my favorite reading times is on the weekend mornings, while Kevin and our dog are still asleep. They're usually stretched out and I just curl up on my pillows and I can usually read for more than an hour before they wake up. It's so quiet and peaceful at that time and it's great! I started a new book Saturday morning and was able to read for almost 2 hours. It Had to Be You by Sarah Webb is the story of 3 friends, all living different lives in the sleepy town of Burnaby, Ireland. While the girls lead different lives (one is married with kids and running for local office, one is a bookshop manager who can't seem to get it right with men, and one has 2 very different jobs and a rough boss), they still meet up for coffee and to dish on life and love. It's cute so far, and a quick read, but I'm still wondering about the title. I suppose I'll get it when I'm finished.

Almost 2 years ago, my best friend gave me a copy of Suze Orman's The Money Book for the Young Fabulous and Broke, and it was very helpful to me at that point in life. I pulled it out this week for some advice on finances, and guess what? It's still relevant! I am figuring it will be helpful to me for at least the next 10 years as well. It has great money tips for people my age - how to start a retirement account, how to manage your stock portfolio, how to work at trimming your debt while trying to pay your bills each month and save money, etc. I've said before that I just love Suze's style when it comes to money - her "Suze Smackdown" as I guess it's called. Her mantra is now my mantra: People first, then money, then things.


Kevin has all sorts of great business books, and sometimes I just grab one or two and sit down with them, hoping to learn something. I always do. Last night I took The Daily Drucker by Peter F. Drucker and started flippinng through it while I watched hockey. There are so many great examples of work topics in the book - including management (as a whole and as an individual), financials, inspiration and innovation and more. I like that each page begins with a quote, and ends with an Action Point (a takeaway, the charge to the reader for the next step). I think I ended up writing down 4 or 5 pages worth of notes. The book contains 366 different pages of advice, the point being to read one a day. (But who can wait that long?) :)

Happy reading to all my fellow bloggers out there. (All images courtesy Barnes & Noble)

No comments: