This is the story of 3 friends, all living different lives in the sleepy town of Burnaby, Ireland. While the girls lead different lives (one is married with kids and running for local office, one is a bookshop manager who can't seem to get it right with men, and one has 2 very different jobs and a rough boss), they still meet up for coffee and to dish on life and love.
As always, some surprising twists create for drama and tension - although I didn't feel the book reached a good climax - it was more anticlimatic for me. Paige, the married and pregnant woman running for local office, survives setbacks that only come about when people go grasping at straws to get the "never seen before" picture of the local politican. In the end, she wins the race, of course, and becomes Deputy.
Paige's friend Molly, the bookshop manager, gets a huge surprise one morning at work when it's announced that the owner is selling the shop. It doesn't stop there - the new owner smells fishy, and he comes with an adorable son who is conveniently drawn to Molly. Can she get it right? (Obviously, this book is a happily ever after, and she does).
Kate, Molly's housemate, has 2 totally different careers - she's a (closet) shoe designer who moonlights as a matchmaker - can't get it right with men. She chases her old flame to Boston (from Ireland!) and realizes he's the same creep he always was. Crushed, she settles for the one she should have said yes to all along. (Nice guys finish last, right?)
I know this was an Irish bestseller, but I think it could have done a little better job at explaining Irish politics for Americans. Paige was a Councillor, but then ran for Deputy - but I don't really understand what each one is equal to in U.S. politics. For me, this was a large part of why I picked up the book (I love politics - from the sidelines), so I wasn't completely satisfied. However, this is still a fast and easy chick read for those seeking one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Thanks for the review! I'm always interested in checking out Ireland based books. (LOL, maybe I'll google Ireland politics first?).
Christina - I think that's what I should have done - Googled it to see what it all meant. I'm not kidding when I say they don't explain anything!
Post a Comment