"A woman who leads a quiet life, keeping other people at a cool distance, one day utters an idle wish to be struck by lightning - and her wish is granted. Instead of killer her, this cataclysmic event marks a strange and powerful new beginning as the woman soon finds herself drawn into a passionate relationship with another survivor of a lightning strike, a mysterious stranger who harbors dark secrets. Their affair becomes the center of a riveting story of loss, love and redemption, a novel that reveals Alice Hoffman at the ver height of her powers."
That description from the back of the book is why I bought it - but I must say that I didn't particularly like this book until the final 20 pages or so. I considered not finishing it, but something told me to keep going, and I'm glad I did.
Although the story is quite odd - who wants to be struck by lightning? (And then gets their wish?) - I found the topic of lightning striking a woman to be fascinating. (And I hope that doesn't sound morbid). The way Hoffman writes about the relationship between 2 victims of lightning strike is amazing, and I wonder how true to life it is. Are there really support groups for victims of lightning strike? Through her relationship with Remy, the woman seems to become more clear about her path in life, because she always just seemed to float from day to day before she actually experience passion.
I was also intrigued by how much nature was explored in the book. Hoffman seems to like writing about Florida (where I live) and I had a constant image of a small eco-friendly house in my mind as I read the book. The ending is honestly the best part, although it's rather sad, but it seems as though she understood her place in life after all the bad she had experienced.
I just noticed the "National Bestseller" mark on the cover of the book! That means some of you other book bloggers have probably read this book. I'm curious what you thought; share your opinions please :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment