44 books read
57 to go to hit 101 in 1001 days
Favorite reads of '08 (click on the title for my review):
- The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama
- The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch
- Lucky Man: A Memoir, Michael J. Fox
- Change of Heart, Jodi Picoult
- In The Woods, Tana French
- The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown
- Good to Great*, Jim Collins
This was not my best year as far as completed books go. I read many more books in 2006 and 2007, but I started my career this year and it's been a struggle to find balance in work and life. I'm catching on, though, and just appreciating what time I do have to enjoy good books. (Another reason for the low number of books read - my new blog!) I also feel I wasted time on some so-so reads this year, and also with a couple of unfinished books.
My personal favorite posts from the year include the review of Barack Obama's memoir, and The Last Lecture. I was so inspired by Randy Pausch's book, and yes, it did make me cry. I posted some of these quotes on the original review I posted, but here are my favorites again.
p. 33 - "Have something to bring to the table, because that will make you more welcome."
p. 79 - "Brick walls are there for a reason. They give us a chance to show how badly we want something."
And now for a little looking ahead. My reading goal for 2009:
Simply to read more! No more excuses for not reading. I used to read before + after dinner and again before bed. I rarely, if ever, read right when I get home anymore, and sometimes I don't even read before bed. I got out of this habit when I started reading just about every blog under the sun. It's hard to keep up! But part of my own goal for '09 is to stop spending meaningless time on the internet. Reading good blogs and posting to my own are allowed, but no more pointless searching! It's not good for my eyes either (I think I need glasses, but that's another story).
What are your goals (reading + general) for 2009? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:
Post a Comment