Scratch that part about reading Half Broken Things! For some reason I couldn't get into it - it was an award winner, so I'm still not sure what the deal was. Perhaps my mood wasn't right for it - so I started The Da Vinci Code...
...and devoured it in a little more than 48 hours! It was so good! It's one of those books about which I'm now saying "what the *&$% took me so long to read that?!" I bought the book over 2 years ago before I moved to Florida, but I have no clue why I didn't pick it up. Don't ask. I have no answers.
What I know now though is what a brilliant piece of work it was. I loved reading about the art, the history, the religion, and I loved the suspense. As is typical of me, I had pegged the wrong person. (For once I'd just like to read a suspense novel and get the killer right!) Reading this book really made me want to go to Paris!
I realize I'm probably about the last person on earth to read this, so I'm not doing a complete review. More like just spilling my thoughts about this incredible read. Bear with me, my thoughts my jump around!
The most astonishing part of the book, and what really hooked me, despite not being a religious person, was all the talk of Jesus and Mary Magdalene and the possibility that they had a child. I was enthralled with this religious history and kept asking my boyfriend, "is that true?" (He's been dying for me to read this book so we can watch the movie!) I can't believe the research and the detail that went into this book, dragging us from place to place across Europe in search of the Holy Grail. It was also interesting to read so much about religion, and just to reiterate the fact that religion is the reason for so much hatred and violence, and always has been. It's easy to see why when people are so blinded by one thought they believe is true. It has always amazed me the amount of people who believe in something simply because it's what they were told.
Another amazing part of the book were the cryptic codes. I just couldn't wait to figure out what each one meant, and how it tied into the overall story. Man I looked forward to every place they went in Paris and beyond, racing against the clock through cathedrals and the like. The fact that Sophie's grandfather was such a master coder and left her all the clues to unscramble was unreal! What a legacy to leave behind...the fact that he was in a secret society and he entrusted in her the keystone to the most wanted piece of information of all time!
I loved this book. I can't believe it took me so long to read it. Definitely one of my favorite reads of all-time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment