I found an interesting article on CNN today, that some controversial young adult novels are creating a huge rift in a Wisconsin town. Read the entire article here.
I agree that books including graphic sex and/or rape and incest are indeed not appropriate for all teens, but who's to say they should be removed from the library? Some teens are having babies, but they're not allowed to read about sex? Some teens are headed to college, but they can't read these books? I graduated high school and completed almost the entire first semester of college before I even turned 18. If books were removed from my library when I was 17, isn't it safe to say that college situations and incidents could have provided more harm than reading fiction?
Sound off on this...I'm curious what other readers have to say about it!
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I don't like books about rape and homosexuality either, but I don't think they should be taken out of the public library. If parents can't trust their kids to make decisions about what is and is not appropriate reading material, then parents should be making those decisions for their kids. It's up to the parents to censor, not the libraries. Books that treat the issues with delicacy can be great springboards for discussion between kids and adults.
I don't know that I'm necessarily opposed to having books labeled "explicit," although I'm sure all that would do is make them more exciting for kids.
Anyway, interesting article ...
You said it perfectly Susan - books can be the perfect segeway(sp?) for discussion between kids and their parents.
Personally, if I write a book that is banned, I will feel like I have finally succeeded at something in my life.
Post a Comment