Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Newsweek's Top 100 Books

I'm such a sucker for these lists. You know, the "top 100" or "best of" lists of books. I always have to compare my reading to the lists. And as always, I'm disappointed in myself for not having read the "classics" or the "top 100." On June 29th, Newsweek published this article on their Top 100 Books.

And here I go again. I've only read 10% of this list - 10 measley books. Realizing I have some serious catching up to do with all these great books of the past. I can't believe I call myself a reader! That's it - I'm incorporating some of these books into my reading list if it kills me! Here's what I'm starting with.
  • 1984 - George Orwell
  • The Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
  • The Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger
  • The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
  • Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
  • Animal Farm - George Orwell
  • The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
  • As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner
  • The Interpretation of Dreams - Sigmund Freud
  • The Color Purple - Alice Walker
  • The Affluent Society - John Kenneth Galbraith

Just to make myself feel better, I feel like I have to point out that I actually HAVE read the Canterbury Tales. Not many people have. I had to recite the opening lines in Old English for a grade in high school English class. I nailed it, of course.

No comments: