Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Sunday Salon - Memorial Day Weekend Edition

The Sunday Salon.com

11:15 AM - Sunday May 24

Is anybody out there?

[crickets]

I haven't played along with the Sunday Salon in weeks, I'm long overdue for a catch-up post. Life has kept me very busy, between work, traveling to Michigan for my best friend's wedding, after-hours events, women's soccer, cleaning up and working around the house, and everything else that always comes up. I've finished Jodi Picoult's The Pact and The Chicago Way by Michael Harvey in the past month, and have started a great book, Carrie Adams' The Godmother.

I've yet to write about The Pact because I can't seem to work my opinion into words. Truthfully, I was a bit disappointed, which I rarely am in a Picoult novel. I had very high expectations because of some recommendations from friends, but it wasn't up to par. Or maybe it's that I've read some of her best works that I couldn't quite like this one after the others. Regardless, I've finished it, and I'm glad I read it. It was quite heavy though, and at some parts I really was surprised I wasn't crying. A suicide pact between teenagers doesn't seem to happen that often (or maybe it's just that it's not reported), but there does seem to be such an incredible rate of suicide in general these days. (Obviously I think the economy brings out the desperation and people don't think there's a better way out.) I have to hand it to Picoult though, for tackling yet another controversial and dramatic topic. She has a great way of shedding light on hot-button issues. I'm hoping some of you readers (if there are any left out there) will tell me what you thought of this book...

On this long weekend I have been catching up with things around the house, since we were out of town last weekend. Five loads of laundry are done, the house has been swept and mopped, the grass has been cut (thank God, after 22+ inches of rain this week, it was looking very shabby), and all of our produce for the week is in the fridge after a successful trip to the farmer's market. We also watched Seven Pounds the other night. Incredible movie, although I still don't understand the title. Anyone?

Today we are headed to our favorite restaurant on the beach to watch the waves and enjoy some burgers and drinks with friends. Hope you all have a great Memorial Day tomorrow, and remember your veterans!

No comments: