Friday, May 29, 2009

50 banned books that everyone should read

Found this list recently, which gives a brief description of why each book has made the banned list (including categories such as religion and politics, race and sex, and more). I have read nine books on this list (see below) but would like to incorporate more of these into my reading. I think that having a well-rounded list of books is the key to my learning.

I hate that books are banned. It should always be up to an individual what he or she choose to read, but to not have the opportunity to read something because of an issue seems to be counterproductive. Isn't the point of education to discuss these issues? I don't get it.

Here are the one's I've read:
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Tom Sawyer
  • James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
  • The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
  • The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Awakening by Kate Chopin
  • Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (my all-time favorite book)
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  • Beloved by Toni Morrison
Which ones have you read?

3 comments:

Brandie said...

i am infuriated by this. this world has gone to crap when we start banning our youth from reading really great literature!

i guess it's up to use to make sure our young read some of these great books. there's so many on this list that i haven't read, but still want to some day!

Stephanie said...

I've read 28 of them, and most of the rest of them are on my TBR list.

Banning books is just so gross. I make it a point to read books that are banned from time to time, just to stick it in the faces of the idiots trying to ban them.

Katie said...

Agreed, it's incredibly disturbing. Just who is in charge of the actual banning is what I would like to know.