In Chicago, as World War II rages in Europe, the Heaney sisters sit at their kitchen table each evening to write letters - Louise to her finace, Michael, who has just let to fight overseas; Kitty to Julian, also a soldier, and the man she wishes fervently would propose; and the third Heaney sister, Tish, to an ever changing group of men she meets at USO dances. In the letters the sisters send and receive are intimate glimpses of life both on the battlefront and at home. For Kitty, a confident, headstrong young woman, the departure of her boyfriend and the lessons she learns about love, resilience, and war will bring a surprise and uncover a seret, and will lead her to a radical action on beahlf of those she loves that will change the Heaney family forever. The lifelong consequences of the choices the sisters make are at the heart of this superb novel about the power of love and the enduring strength of family.
I loved this book. I loved the growing and changing relationships of the sisters, and the lengths they went to during the wartime. I loved that Kitty was true to herself - mostly - and grew up throughout the story. The ultimate sacrifice she made for her sisters shows the relationship only possible between sisters.
Elizabeth Berg really painted a good picture of wartime, I actually felt like I was in Chicago with the Heaney family. I loved how well she told the story of the close-knit family and the struggles they went through to provide food and comfort to each other during the war.
Highly recommend this book to those who like to read about wartime, Chicago, and/or large, close-knit families. It's an easy read and well worth the time.

No comments:
Post a Comment