When Melody Grace McCartney was six years old, she and her parents witnessed an act of violence so brutal that it changed their lives forever. The federal government lured them into the Witness Protection Program with the promise of safety, but the program took Melody's name, her home, her family, and ultimately her innocence. Now, twenty years later and still on the run, she's been May Adams, Karen Smith, Anne Johnson, and countless others. But the one person she longs to be is Melody Grace McCartney.
So when the feds spirit her off to begin yet another new life in yet another new town, she's stunned by a man who accosts her and calls her by her real name. Jonathan Bovaro, the mafioso sent to find her, knows her, the real her, and it's a thrill Melody can't resist. Defying the feds, she goes willingly with him. To the Justice Department, she's nothing more than a pawn in the government's war against the Bovaro family. But, as dangerous as Jonathan is, he presents her with the chance of a lifetime - the chance to embrace her past and present, and choose a future all her own.
Another page-turner I could. not. put. down. It was soo good. The beginning took a bit to get rolling but by page 20 I was so sucked in I barely ate for 2 days. I have always been a little fascinated with mafia stories, so it was obvious this one would appeal to me. But the real thing that appealed to me was that Melody (or Kay, Karen, or a slew of other girls) was so believeable. I couldn't blame her for wanting to run off with Jonathan. Her entire life she'd been running from the truth and here he was in his tall dark and handsome demeanor and that was all it took.
By the time the story going, I was rooting for Melody and Jonathan. But of course, the story had different plans. See, the Bovaros sent Jonathan after Melody to "take care of her" because she was the only one left who could turn their family into the feds. Jonathan's scheme to take her home to his family and show them how innocent she is and how forgiving she is (the only thing she wanted anymore wasn't even death for those who killed her parents, it was just the chance to be herself) blew up in his face. Unbeknownst to Jonathan, the feds had found Melody one day when he thought she was in a beauty salon for the day. The Bovaros had also found her, and had the pictures to prove it. I was certain that Melody was in for death, but true to his word, Jonathan saved her. (No spoilers here, you'll have to read it yourself to find out exactly how it ends).
I really, really recommend this book for those who like fast-paced stories. And those who may also enjoy a good Romeo + Juliet story.

No comments:
Post a Comment