First of all, I must admit that I did not read this book for pleasure. I read it for work purposes (and that's all I can say). I am not a Palin fan, I have actually blogged about it on my personal blog, but I needed to give her book a shot. I went in with an open mind.
But I still am not a fan. Her book did nothing but reiterate why she was not a good candidate for Vice President. Small town politics does not mean you are ready to run an enormous country. Just because Alaska has great natural resources doesn't mean you have the solution to all the world's problems. I do agree with her that the US needs to become more energy independent. I do not agree that that means relying solely on drilling. It's true that Alaska could provide the US with some oil, but it will only last for so long, and what happens when it's gone? I believe the US needs to consider alternative fuel sources as a long-term solution.
A few things I noticed.
On page 29, she talks about how Alaska Senator Ted Stevens was so instrumental in ushering legislation for Title IX, but doesn't mention the fallen Ted Kennedy. (Surprise, surprise).
On page 169, she mentions that her oldest son, Track, left high school for awhile and played on a travel hockey team in Kalamazoo, Michigan; ironically, my hometown.
On page 270, she defends her interview with Katie Couric and said that KC was badgering her about the magazines she read. She did admit that she handled that interview poorly because she was annoyed. Well guess what, when you're a politician, you need to better prepare for those "annoyances." What was the problem with just listing a couple newspapers and magazines and being done with the question?
In the end of the book, Sarah talks about how she resigned as Governor of Alaska, mostly in part to the lack of work her administration could complete because they were so innundated with ethics complaints. I do agree that if you are not able to effectively carry out your message and your promises, it would be hard to govern. And I've never been in politics so I can't really imagine the scenario. But where did all the ethics complaints come from? Surely not every single one of them was untrue. (Just my opinion of course).
I just find it so crazy why everyone is so fascinated with her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Thanks for a great review and sharing your thoughts. I haven't read her book - and won't. I am definitely not fascinated with Palin - I mostly find her annoying. She is not what this country needs, in my opinion. Someone once asked me, "But aren't you excited that a woman was running for VP?" No. Because I didn't think Palin represented women's issues one iota.
Thanks for your comment Wendy. I agree, she doesn't represent women's issues!
I'm impressed you were able to make it through this book. I shudder a little every time I have to pass it in a store. I can't stand her, and I don't get the fascination either.
Stephanie - agreed! I have personal experience with her (through a work event) and really, really wish I could comment on it!
Post a Comment