Friday, January 8, 2010

Brazen Careerist - Penelope Trunk

This was one of the best business books I have ever read. I have written a lot about Penelope Trunk recently on my personal blog, and she truly does have great life advice - it's not all business. Here are a few of my favorite passages from this book:
"The only way to lead an interesting life is to encounter uncertainty and make a choice. Otherwise your life is not your own - it is a path someone else has chosen. Moments of uncertainty are when you create your life, when you become who you are." (p. 12)

"So you have to find your authentic self: know what you are passionate about. What is really driving you to talk about what you talk about? Understanding your personal motivations is the first step toward projecting your authentic self. You will change throughout the years, but the practice of projecting who you really are will not change, once you learn how to do it." (p. 109)

"A great career doesn't fall on you. You have to seek it out by moving in the direction toward which your heart pushes. If you know yourself and you take passion seriously, your work will provide structure and support for a happy life." (p. 194)

I also really loved that she talked specifically about money. Even I sometimes get caught up in the money aspect of work, but Penelope wrote about the $40,000 rule - that research shows it really that amount of money that makes people happy. I agree that much less and much more than that probably brings a lot more added stress. Something to keep in mind as I move forward in my career.

No comments: