Sunday, September 7, 2008

On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan

First off, this was not the best book I've read recently. What tends to happen with me is that a book is so hyped up and I get very excited to read it but for some reason can't seem to find the time to finish the book. So once I actually do finish it, it just wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong, McEwan can definitely write and I will probably read another of his works, but it just didn't affect me like I thought it would.

On Chesil Beach is about the wedding night of Edward and Florence, who were married in 1962. They are in love, which is evident, but do not know how to communicate about sex and so both have much tension about consummating the marriage. Add to that the fact that they come from completely different backgrounds - Florence came from a sophisticated, well-to-do family and the thought of sex is well, revolting to her. Edward on the other hand, is extremely excited that he will finally have this moment with his new wife. The tension around this event is so heavy that it creates a devastating, life-changing situation for the newlyweds.

What happens after that highly anticipated moment? Well, you'll have to read it to find out. It's short - my paperback copy is 203 pages - so it won't take you too long.

A few others who have reviewed this book:
Tell me what you think.

No comments: